Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Paradigm Shift

Before starting the discussion I would like to quote the guiding principle of International Labour Organisation. Its guiding principle is that "labour is not a commodity" to be traded in the same way as goods, services or capital, and that human dignity demands equality of treatment and fairness in dealing within the workplace.

Earlier the industry used to look out for bright people, try to bargain the offers it can make to bring them in. But lately the employers have the liberty of having many employees: hundreds or maybe even thousands. If the company thinks of laying off an employee then it thinks of it as retrenchment cost.

Lately the bargaining power has seen a drastic shift towards the employer from the employee. Trying to think in the lines of an employee whose only source of income is his job, it has become very difficult for them to even think of bargaining. The current economic slowdown has worsened the situation even more.

When I joined my company (a PSU), I joined with a batch of 40 employees. We were pre-assigned our postings and other related offers the company provided us. Only after serving the company for 2 years and rising up the ranks, I usually put forward by preferences ( which I had profoundly reasoned with myself) and used to get the deal. The major driving forces were scarcity of professionals in the field and competitive salary and perks offered by the private players.

But in the back of my mind I also know that this situation does not prevail in most of the other sectors. I might not get a similar chance after I pass out and get a job. To overcome this problem I think the best strategy as an employee would be to keep on building on one’s competencies and try to be ahead of the crowd. But it is easier said than done.

Now coming to the situation when I am on the receiving end, I would like to first convince the employer of the cons of me losing the job. Then the next step would be to sit back and think of the risk-return of giving in. Then only my obvious course of action can be determined.

No comments: