Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bargain- Balance or Imbalance of Power??

One who is able to shift it in its court there lays the power. It is not necessary that it will be at the cost of either individual or the organization. The bargain is a mutual agreement by both the parties which may be a compromise or both the parties may be satisfied at the end.

From the employee’s point of view, he may ask for salary hike, higher incentives, promotions, foreign projects or any another personal favour. Now how much bargain can be made depends upon many factors. One among crucial factors is the type of industry and the uniqueness of the job which decide the bargain power. For example if the cost of replacing the employee is not much and another one can be trained easily and paid less, then the power lies with the employer and vice-versa. I believe the market conditions also play a vital role. Also the culture of the organization holds an important place under such circumstances. The terms and conditions should be explicitly mentioned in order to make the end of relationship a pleasurable experience. But whenever one party tries to make use of the situation in one’s favour, then the problems arise.

I think that I will be able to make a non-negotiable offer to my employer in my career but that will depend upon my priorities and will be determined by the situation and corresponding risk evaluation.If my employer gives me any such offer then I will properly evaluate it and estimate the offering.

For example : in the case of nuclear deal, the way India prioritized the givings and takings gives a very nice example of power of bargain as to how we were able to manage the Indo-US relationship and still get our share of bargain.

No comments: