Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bargaining Power Continue: Real Life Story

I feel bad that I missed the first 2 classes simply because after going through all these posts I realise that I could have contributed to the discussion. In the context of Bargaining Power I will narrate my own story here. I have worked in a manufacturing MNC for 2 years . After working for 15 months as a Sales Engineer( b2b), I wanted to move to Marketing( as always ). I had an offer from competitor for the same. So it gave me confidence to initiate bargaining with my HR head to move me to a marketing profile and close to my hometown. After a month of tussle I was eventually promoted to marketing profile, near my hometown.

Three factors I believe worked in my favour:

1. Offer from competition which I used indirectly ( I never told HR anything directly about it. It is where sometimes gossipers are useful!!! :D)
2. Market Boom in 2008
3. Proven talent, strong goodwill and positive image among the seniors.

But soon situation changed in 2009, tables were turned and my HR head was in a better bargaining position. Our marketing budget was squeezed like anything , appraisal were freezed and they had started receiving resumes of more experienced candidates for that profile.

So it became apparent to me that my corporate honeymoon is over ( it really was , with kind of perks I used to get) and it’s time that I pack my bag & go back to school.

And Here I Am !!

Regards
Akash Bansal

No comments: